Stumbled across an interesting article in the Chronicle of Higher Education concerning students reluctance to try electronic books, see the link below. On one hand, I would have thought the younger generation would have readily adopted e-books. That may be an unfair observation but it's based on the high end phones I see in use by our current students and what they seem to be doing with them. This dinosaur has only recently attempted texting and found that I can't type very well with my thumbs on a keyboard the size of a credit card. I haven't a clue what most of the acronyms I receive mean and aren't sure I want to learn a new language. The more I look, I wonder if those high tech phone users are really only a very small, but highly visible, sampling of the overall student population.
I do remember having to haul a backpack with 20 pounds of books and supplies around as a commuter student and thinking there had to be a better way. I would have liked to trade a 3 lb iPad or Kindle for that burden I found myself with but I also remember taking copious notes in the margins to highlight some point I thought significant. Since most of my college textbooks still reside on my bookshelf, the resale advantage wasn't a factor for me, but long term retention certainly was. I wonder what the shelf life of an e-book is?
http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/students-remain-reluctant-to-try-e-textbooks-survey-finds/27866?sid=wc&utm_source=wc&utm_medium=en
No comments:
Post a Comment